Monday, January 31, 2011

A Cabinet Makeover

Last week a family member asked me to find a cabinet and paint it black (It was to be for her office to store boxes). It needed to be around 3x5 feet.

I found quite a few cabinets on KSL that fit the bill except they were all over priced. After browsing in some different categories I spotted the perfect cabinet! It was $20 dollars. My husband went and picked it up and when he got there he discovered that it was solid wood, SCORE! 

I went to the store and got my paint mixed... After sending my very helpful toddler off with grandma so I could paint uninterrupted (for 4 hours) I stood back, looked at the cabinet and realized that the paint was GRAY. When I got the paint mixed I mentioned that it looked rather gray and the associate told me that it would darken once it dried. I waited and waited and still, GRAY! GRRR! I went back and had them re-mix my paint- which ended up just being another gallon and brand of paint... and RE-painted the entire cabinet. 

Here it is before:


It was the top to an entertainment center in it's first life but over time I guess they lost the bottom to it. So we just needed to buy a back for it and put in a shelf.
 


It was a little banged up- it looked like they tried to use a black furniture marker on brown wood... hmm...


This is what it looked like after I painted it gray...

It's not black is it? I knew I wasn't color blind.


And then... It was black!


 I distressed it and went over it with a wipe on poly.


 Put in a shelf and a solid back.


I think it will be perfect for an office. 


I'm linking up to:



Domestically Speaking


MuralMaker and More

8 comments:

  1. Yes! Love the BLACK! But the paint-store-fiasco has happened to me on more than one occasion. They just go by the dang computer mixer unless you can find someone who really knows how to mix paint. At my HD, it's a great WOMAN who always gets it right the first time ;)

    Would love for you to drop by this weekend and share this @ Passion for Paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just became a follower. I love that cabinet. Thanks for sharing. 8>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! I've had the "it's gray not black" paint issue too! I never knew it would be so hard to get just get black paint!

    Great job on the cabinet! I love that you took something that would normally be tossed and turned it into something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Perfect idea to use the top piece of that furniture....i love taking one thing and making it into something else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great! I think I have an addiction to painting things black...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment!